Metro Nashville Public Schools took the spotlight in early November as Director of Schools Dr. Adrienne Battle spoke with Lester Holt of NBC News about the challenges that school districts are facing almost two years into the COVID-19 pandemic. In her discussion with NBC News, Dr. Battle highlights a number of critical issues including vaccination efforts, keeping the focus on student progress, and social-emotional needs of both students and school personnel.
The work of Alignment Teams (A-Teams) has always centered around the top priorities of the school district and the most pressing and urgent needs of the communities. Here’s how some of our A-Teams are helping to address the needs highlighted by Dr. Battle in the NBC feature:
- Attendance A-Team: Project Reconnect mobilizes community partners to engage families of students who missed the start of the school year and helps to get them reenrolled and connected to support.
- Behavioral Health A-Team: More than 7,000 MNPS faculty and staff have been trained in Mental Health 101, a professional development designed and developed by the A-Team.
- Literacy A-Team: With a majority of students demonstrating a delay of up to four months in their reading skills, the Literacy A-Team is working to accelerate student programs related to reading and literacy.
- Math A-Team: By enhancing supportings for teachers and students, this A-Team is working to accelerate student progress in mathematics.
- Music City SEL Conference A-Team: The annual summer conference on social-emotional learning equips educators in MNPS (and beyond!) with tools and strategies for creating nurturing learning environments where students and adults can thrive.
- Summer Reading Partners A-Team: Children participating in camps and programs during summer break have increased access to books and literacy enrichment to help keep the focus on student progress during those critical summer months.
Alignment Teams consist of diverse partners and stakeholders from the community and school district convened to develop strategically challenge and address systemic barriers and impact the growth, development, and academic achievement of students in Metro Nashville Public Schools. Check out more A-Teams here!