Only 34% of K-8 students scored “proficient” in Reading and Language Arts.
The Literacy A-Team, which was also formed in 2020, has build an incredible foundation of knowledge from MNPS data sources to help them understand the needs of Nashville students. They also took a critical look at systemic barriers that contribute to literacy disparities and developed a “literacy landscape” of existing initiatives in Nashville. Moving forward to 2022, the Literacy A-Team will focus on promoting a positive reading culture and love of reading by supporting families, connecting literacy supports for students outside of the school day, and equity in literacy.
Literacy Alignment Team
- Aliya Washington, Metro Nashville Public Schools, Co-Chair
- Kendra Bush, Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Cara Deese, Junior League
- Vesia Hawkins, Plant the Seed
- Erika Long, Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Molly Rucker, Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Melissa Spradlin, Book’em
- Cassandra Welch, NPL